Home » Peru archaeologists find 600-year-old child sacrifice site

Peru archaeologists find 600-year-old child sacrifice site

by Namaste Melbourne

SummaryRemains of nearly four dozen children unearthed in northern PeruChildren believed to have been sacrificed by Chimu group over 600 years agoPrevious site found with 140 children and hundreds of llamas sacrificedLIMA, Oct 4 (Reuters) – In a vacant lot outside the town of Trujillo, in northern Peru, archaeologists have unearthed the remains of nearly four dozen children — all thought to have been ritually sacrificed more than 600 years ago.”Many of these remains have cuts on the sternum, some on their ribs,” said archaeologist Julio Asencio from the excavation site.Each child was buried separately, the scientist said. The remains of two adults and nine llamas – thought to be an offering representing their source of food, clothing and transport – were also found nearby.Advertisement · Scroll to continueThey likely belonged to the local Chimu group, which dominated northern Peru from the 700s to the late 1400s, Asencio said.Historians believe the group may have participated in child sacrifices as an attempt to appease their gods after heavy rains and flooding. They were conquered by the Inca just decades later.Scientists had previously found another site thought to be a mass sacrifice by the Chimu nearby, of 140 children all with cuts on their sternum and ribs, their hearts believed to have been removed thereafter, alongside hundreds of llamas.Advertisement · Scroll to continuePeru is home to hundreds of archaeological ruins from a number of pre-Hispanic cultures up through the Inca Empire, which stretched from what is now southern Ecuador through central Chile some 500 years ago.The Reuters Daily Briefing newsletter provides all the news you need to start your day. Sign up here.Reporting by Carlos Valdez for Reuters Television and Marco Aquino; Writing by Kylie MadryOur Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles., opens new tabShareXFacebookLinkedinEmailLinkPurchase Licensing Rights

Disclaimer

Our website sources news from various websites and social media to provide timely updates and diverse perspectives. We aim to inform respectfully and responsibly, with no intent to offend or misrepresent anyone. If you have concerns about our content, please  reach out to us, and we will address the issue promptly.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Namaste Melbourne

Melbourne based South Asian Community News portal with business directory to promote culture, traditions and business.

Newsletter

Subscribe Newsletter for new blog posts & updates. Let's stay updated!

Latest Posts

@2024 – All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by Nepali Sanchar